Addiction treatment is often thought of as either inpatient treatment that lasts for months or outpatient treatment that is infrequent and ineffective. But there is a middle ground. Intensive outpatient rehab meets multiple times a week, provides supportive medication-assisted therapy, and helps clients build a local community of like-minded individuals.
At Relevance Recovery, our Freehold, New Jersey, rehab provides treatment for substance abuse and mental illness. We have specific programs for teens and adolescents, are LGBTQ-friendly, and provide specific addiction treatment for first responders in New Jersey. Our philosophy is designed around knowing and fully understanding the needs of the individual in treatment.
What is Intensive Outpatient Treatment?
Intensive outpatient treatment, commonly known as IOP, is an intermediary level between inpatient rehabilitation and generalized outpatient treatment. And IOP clients are able to live at home or in a sober living house where they travel to and from treatment frequently during the week. Intensive outpatient programs meet a minimum of nine hours a week over three days but can be as intensive as eight hours of treatment a day, seven days a week. Typical IOP falls somewhere in the mid-range.
The core services of intensive outpatient programs include group counseling and therapy, individual counseling, psychoeducational programming, pharmacotherapy, and medication management. Along with 24-hour crisis coverage and community-based support groups, individuals in IOP work on relapse prevention, enhancing self-efficacy for handling risky situations, developing educational and vocational skills, and maintaining balance in life.
A study completed on the effectiveness of the service indicates that intensive outpatient care is as effective as inpatient treatment in most cases.
What are the Benefits of Intensive Outpatient Treatment?
There are many benefits to an intensive outpatient program that will help you achieve sobriety and a healthy lifestyle. Whether you are a recovering addict or in the early stages of your recovery, the advantages of IOP may help you meet your needs.
- Get a support system: Being in a group setting means you’ll be surrounded by peers who are going through similar things and have similar challenges. You’ll be able to learn from one another’s experiences and hone different skills in an environment that’s not judgmental.
- You get to live at home: One of the most popular benefits of IOP is the ability to receive intensive care but still be able to lead a somewhat normal life. Being able to go home at night can be appealing for those who are nervous or uncomfortable with inpatient programs or for those who are able to care for themselves and be safe in their own homes.
- Learn useful skills: Each session of an Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) covers different challenges you may face and provides you with the tools you need to cope with challenging situations. Because an IOP session lasts longer than an individual session, you’ll have more time to explore the issues you’re facing.
- An Intensive Outpatient Program Provides Structure: Another advantage of an Intensive outpatient program is that you commit to a schedule and routine.
- Provide support: In addition to the support you will receive in the IOP sessions, you will receive additional support after your program is completed. This support can be in the form of a worksheet, a planner, and possibly even an online tool.
All of these advantages allow people with substance use disorders or mental health issues to heal on their own terms and in their own timeframe.
How to Find an Intensive Outpatient Treatment Program in New Jersey
If you’re interested in finding an intensive outpatient treatment program in New Jersey, look no further than Relevance Recovery. Our comprehensive Monmouth County treatment programs is designed to provide our clients with precisely what they need to advance along the path of recovery. With multiple pathways to recovery, our clients have access to treatment at every level. Inpatient, intensive outpatient, and outpatient treatment, along with detoxification and aftercare programming, allow individuals to become clients at any stage of the recovery process.
Our intensive outpatient program is three hours a day, three or five days a week. With a combination of cognitive behavioral therapy and dialectical behavioral therapy, we work to help transform your thoughts and reactions. After completing your individualized treatment program, our facility offers outpatient treatment and aftercare programming.
Relevance Recovery offers family group therapy, teen and adolescent programming, and interventions for individuals who are trying to help their loved ones. In addition, we treat clients with substance abuse disorders, mental illnesses, and those with a dual diagnosis in a non-judgemental and supportive manner. Asking for help can be challenging, and we support our clients with dignity through this process.
Contact the admissions team today to see the options that meet your needs.