- About Us
Request a Callback
We offer a free bi-weekly group for families. We recognize that this journey impacts the entire family unit.
Join us bi-weekly for an organized support group to learn tools and techniques to help yourself and your loved one navigate their treatment and aftercare.
When: Every Other Tuesday at 6PM
Where: The comfort of your home! All meetings are held virtually.
CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO JOIN
Meeting Passcode: family
Family therapy recognizes that mental health and substance abuse often stem from deeper issues within the family dynamic. By working together and exploring these underlying factors, families can break the cycle of destructive behaviors and find healthier ways of functioning.
This collaborative approach allows family members to support one another, fostering understanding and empathy. It provides a safe space for open communication, where everyone’s voice is heard and valued.
Through targeted interventions and evidence-based techniques, family therapy equips families with the tools to navigate challenges, build resilience, and promote long-term recovery.
If you or your loved one is struggling with mental health or substance abuse, consider the power of family therapy. Together, we can break the cycle and foster healing within the entire family unit.
What Is Family Therapy?
Family therapy, also known as family systems therapy, is a form of psychotherapy that focuses on the family unit as a whole.
It recognizes that mental health and substance abuse often stem from deeper issues within the family dynamic. Unlike individual therapy, which primarily addresses the concerns of one person, family therapy involves all members of the family in the therapeutic process.
We Work with Most Major Insurance Carriers
Benefits Of Family Therapy
Family therapy offers numerous benefits in combating mental health and substance abuse. By involving the entire family, it creates a supportive network that can contribute to successful treatment outcomes. Some of the key advantages include:
- Holistic approach: By addressing the underlying issues within the family, therapy can lead to more comprehensive and lasting results.
- Improved communication: Family therapy provides a safe space to express themselves, share their feelings, and practice active listening. Enhanced communication skills can lead to healthier relationships and better understanding within the family.
- Increased support: Family therapy fosters a sense of support and understanding among family members, creating an environment where everyone feels valued and validated.
- Identification of patterns: Family therapy helps identify unhealthy patterns of behavior within the family, such as enabling, codependency, or unhealthy communication styles.
- Building resilience: Through family therapy, families learn coping strategies and resilience-building techniques that can support ongoing recovery.
How Family Therapy Works
Family therapy typically involves a series of sessions led by a qualified family therapist. The therapist creates a safe and non-judgmental space for family members to explore their emotions, thoughts, and behaviors.
During the initial sessions, the therapist works to establish rapport and build trust with each family member.
Once the therapist has a comprehensive understanding of the family’s dynamics, they guide the family through targeted interventions. These interventions may include:
- Communication exercises
- Problem-solving techniques
- Boundary setting
- Genogram creation
- Family rituals and traditions
Common Approaches And Techniques Used In Family Therapy
Family involvement is crucial in supporting an individual’s recovery from mental health and substance abuse issues. The family plays a significant role in providing emotional support, encouragement, and accountability. Some ways in which the family can support recovery include:
- Educating themselves: Learning about mental health and substance abuse can help family members better understand the challenges their loved one is facing. Education can also reduce stigma and misconceptions surrounding these issues.
- Active participation in therapy: Attending family therapy sessions and actively engaging in the therapeutic process can strengthen family bonds and improve treatment outcomes.
- Creating a supportive environment: Providing a safe and substance-free home environment can reduce triggers and temptations for the individual in recovery.
- Practicing self-care: Taking care of one’s own emotional and physical well-being is crucial for family members. This ensures they have the capacity to support their loved one effectively.
- Encouraging healthy habits: Promoting healthy lifestyle choices, such as regular exercise, proper nutrition, and adequate sleep, can contribute to overall well-being for the entire family.
The Role Of The Family In Supporting Recovery
Resistance to family therapy is not uncommon, especially when family members may feel blamed or judged for their loved one’s struggles. However, addressing this resistance is essential for the success of therapy. Some strategies for overcoming resistance include:
- Psychoeducation: Educating family members about the benefits and purpose of family therapy can alleviate concerns and misconceptions.
- Empathy and validation: Acknowledging and validating family members’ feelings and concerns can help build trust and willingness to participate.
- Exploring individual goals: Identifying and addressing each family member’s individual goals and desires for therapy can help align their interests with the overall goal of supporting their loved one’s recovery.
- Gradual involvement: Starting with individual sessions before integrating the entire family can help ease resistance and build rapport with the therapist.
- Flexibility and adaptation: Recognizing that every family is unique and adjusting the therapeutic approach to accommodate the family’s specific needs can enhance engagement and cooperation.
We believe in Holistic Therapies.
Biosound Therapy is the integration of Biofeedback, Therapeutic Music, sound healing massage, and guided imagery. The guided imagery selections on the Biofeedback Bed are designed to address the guilt, fear, shame and trauma associated as underlying issues for most dealing with addiction. These moving meditations begin with a journey to a completely relaxed state of mind. Then, utilizing a unique echo effect, powerful and positive affirmations are delivered. This combination helps the client overcome those deep rooted, negative patterns of thought and behavior.
Equine-Assisted Therapy is used to treat patients challenged with everything from drug and alcohol abuse dependency and post-traumatic stress syndrome. The therapy takes advantage of the mental and physical exercise that working with a horse can provide. Equine therapy:
*This is an optional, additional therapeutic therapy available after clinical treatment hours.
Clients at Relevance receive weekly massage therapy from our Licensed Therapists. Some additional benefits include:
Overcoming Resistance To Family Therapy
When seeking family therapy, it is essential to find a qualified and experienced family therapist. Consider the following factors when selecting a therapist:
- Credentials and qualifications: Look for a licensed therapist with specialized training and experience in family therapy.
- Approach and techniques: Inquire about the therapist’s preferred approach and the techniques they use. Ensure they align with your family’s needs and preferences.
- Compatibility: Establishing a good rapport and feeling comfortable with the therapist is crucial for effective therapy. Consider scheduling an initial consultation to assess compatibility.
- Referrals and recommendations: Seek recommendations from trusted sources, such as healthcare professionals or support groups, who have experience with family therapy.
- Cost and availability: Consider the therapist’s fees and availability to ensure they are compatible with your family’s financial and scheduling constraints.
Integrating Family Therapy Into A Comprehensive Treatment Plan
Mental health and substance abuse can have a profound impact on individuals and their families. By embracing the power of family therapy, families can break the cycle of destructive behaviors and find healthier ways of functioning. Family therapy provides a collaborative and supportive environment where everyone’s voice is heard and valued. Through targeted interventions and evidence-based techniques, families can navigate challenges, build resilience, and promote long-term recovery. If you or your loved one is struggling with mental health or substance abuse, consider the transformative potential of family therapy. Together, we can break the cycle and foster healing within the entire family unit.
Get the Help You Need, Now.
Start your journey to substance abuse recovery with us in New Jersey today.