Chronic alcohol abuse leads to significant physical and psychological health impacts. Addiction is not a disease to be taken lightly as it does not discriminate on any basis. It can, and often does, affect anyone at any time. Choosing to seek addiction treatment will be one of the most difficult decisions someone who struggles with an alcohol addiction will make. Stigma aside, many fears and concerns arise from deciding to begin your sobriety journey. The withdrawal and detox process is not often easy, and symptoms related to alcohol withdrawal specifically can sometimes be severe and even fatal. For this reason, it is highly recommended that you go through the detox and withdrawal process in a supported environment at an addiction treatment center like Relevance Behavioral Health.
Signs That Indicate The Need for Alcohol Rehabilitation
Recognizing the signs of alcohol addiction is the first step towards seeking help and embarking on the path to recovery. While the symptoms may vary from person to person, some common indicators that suggest the need for alcohol rehabilitation include:
1. Increased tolerance: Needing more alcohol to achieve the desired effect or experiencing diminished effects with the same amount of alcohol.
2. Withdrawal symptoms: Experiencing physical and psychological symptoms, such as tremors, anxiety, sweating, and irritability, when attempting to quit or cut back on drinking.
3. Loss of control: Being unable to limit or stop drinking, despite efforts to do so.
4. Neglected responsibilities: Prioritizing alcohol over personal and professional obligations, leading to deteriorating relationships and job performance.
5. Drinking to cope: Using alcohol as a way to deal with stress, anxiety, or other negative emotions.
6. Isolation: Withdrawing from social activities and hobbies once enjoyed in favor of drinking alone or with other heavy drinkers.
7. Continued use despite negative consequences: Persisting with alcohol consumption despite experiencing negative physical, mental, or social consequences.
If you or someone you know exhibits these signs, it may be time to consider seeking help from a professional alcohol rehabilitation center.
The Importance of Seeking Professional Help for an Alcohol Addiction
Quitting alcohol suddenly (sometimes called quitting “cold turkey”) and without comprehensive detox, support can be dangerous. To ensure the best opportunity for success in treatment and recovery, it is essential to receive proper medical and mental health care while detoxing from alcohol addiction. Addiction is a disease unique to the individual, and therefore, no two people will experience withdrawal in the same way. Specific factors that may contribute to your particular symptoms and the severity of those symptoms include the duration of your addiction, the severity of your addiction, and if you had gotten sober before and experienced a relapse.
While you are withdrawing from alcohol, your body and brain begin to adjust to the lack of alcohol in your system. As a result, body functions and systems that have been slowed due to the depressive actions of alcohol often become hyperactive or overactive. This can lead to potentially dangerous symptoms, including rapid heart rate, elevated body temperature, rapid breathing, sweating, etc. The most severe effects of alcohol withdrawal can include significant and potentially fatal symptoms such as delirium tremens (DT), shaking, headache, high blood pressure, seizures, hallucinations, nausea, and confusion. For these reasons, detoxing in an alcohol addiction treatment is essential to ensure a safe detox and a successful transition to therapy and recovery.
Factors to Consider When Searching for Alcohol Rehabilitation Centers
When searching for alcohol rehabilitation centers, it’s important to consider various factors to ensure you make an informed decision. Here are some key factors to keep in mind:
1. Accreditations and certifications: Look for centers that are accredited and certified by reputable organizations. This ensures that they meet specific standards of care and adhere to ethical practices.
2. Treatment approach: Different centers may have different treatment approaches, such as 12-step programs, cognitive-behavioral therapy, or holistic therapies. Consider what aligns best with your personal beliefs and preferences.
3. Success rates: Inquire about the center’s success rates and ask for evidence or testimonials from past patients. A high success rate indicates that the center has a track record of helping individuals achieve long-term sobriety.
4. Location: Consider whether you prefer a center close to home or if you’re open to traveling for treatment. Both options have their advantages, so choose what feels most comfortable for you.
5. Cost and insurance coverage: Understand the financial implications of treatment and whether your insurance plan covers rehabilitation services. It’s essential to be aware of any out-of-pocket expenses and explore available financing options if necessary.
By considering these factors, you can narrow down your options and find the alcohol rehabilitation center that best suits your needs and circumstances.
Treatment Programs and Therapies Offered By the Top Rehabilitation Centers
The top alcohol rehabilitation centers offer a wide range of treatment programs and therapies to address the complex nature of alcohol addiction. Here are some common programs and therapies you can expect to find:
1. Detoxification: The first step in the recovery process is detoxification, where the body is cleansed of alcohol and other harmful substances. Medical supervision and support are crucial during this stage to manage withdrawal symptoms and ensure a safe detoxification process.
2. Individual therapy: One-on-one therapy sessions with a qualified therapist provide a safe space to explore the underlying issues contributing to addiction. Therapists utilize various modalities, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing, and trauma-informed therapy, to help individuals gain insight, develop coping strategies, and foster personal growth.
3. Group therapy: Group therapy sessions offer a supportive environment where individuals can connect with others who are going through similar experiences. It provides a sense of community, reduces feelings of isolation, and allows for shared learning and mutual support.
4. Family therapy: Alcohol addiction affects not only the individual but also their loved ones. Family therapy helps mend broken relationships, improve communication, and educate family members about addiction and recovery. It plays a crucial role in creating a supportive and understanding family unit.
5. Holistic therapies: Many rehabilitation centers incorporate holistic therapies to promote overall well-being. These may include yoga, meditation, art therapy, music therapy, and equine-assisted therapy. Holistic therapies address the mind, body, and spirit, providing individuals with additional tools for self-discovery and stress management.
6. Aftercare programs: Successful recovery extends beyond the initial treatment phase. Aftercare programs, such as ongoing therapy, support groups, and relapse prevention planning, help individuals maintain sobriety and navigate the challenges of everyday life. These programs provide continued support and guidance, reducing the risk of relapse.
These are just a few examples of the treatment programs and therapies offered by the top rehabilitation centers. Each center may have its own unique combination of services, ensuring that individuals receive comprehensive care tailored to their specific needs.
How to Find Alcohol Rehabilitation Centers Near Me
Across the United States, there are many treatment options available for someone looking to get clean from alcohol. Because of the challenges often experienced during detox, defeating alcoholism should be done with the support and guidance of medical professionals in a facility with a team trained to treat and manage alcohol abuse and severe withdrawal symptoms. In many cases, attempting to self-treat or “cold-turkey” withdrawing from alcohol may cause more harm than good. Participating in a medically assisted detox program will provide you with the greatest opportunity for attaining long-term sobriety. At Relevance Behavioral Health, our skilled and compassionate treatment team will support and guide you through the entire treatment process, beginning with detox and continuing through comprehensive aftercare planning.
Why Choose Relevance Behavioral Health
At Relevance Behavioral Health, our addiction treatment staff understands the difficulties and challenges often experienced as you begin to detox from alcohol addiction. Our caring and compassionate staff will work with you to design a unique alcohol addiction treatment plan that addresses your physical, psychological, and spiritual needs. Using a combination of traditional and alternative treatment models, our addiction treatment plans are designed to provide the most holistic experience possible. In our Freehold, New Jersey intensive outpatient addiction rehab, we are ready to help you begin your sobriety journey. The first step towards a life free of alcohol is choosing to seek addiction treatment. The next step is to reach out to the admissions team at Relevance Behavioral Health to learn more about how our intensive outpatient rehab in Freehold, New Jersey, can help you.